Wednesday 10 February 2016

Meadow grasses

Hello again.  I thought I'd share the first of my samples from Sunday's Clarity shows on Hochanda.  This is a nice easy one to start with.
 
 

I trimmed a piece of 7" x 7" stencil card to a 6" square, then stamped some meadow grasses along the bottom edge in black archival.



Then I painted on Spectrum Noir aquatints:  just using red and yellow.  I painted them on very liberally, so that the piece gets very wet and the colours move and blend.  Whilst it was still wet, I sprinkled on some rock salt, concentrating along the bottom edge, and just a delicate sprinkle elsewhere.  You need to be patient;  it doesn't look like much until it dries.




Once its completely dry (and I would suggest leaving it overnight), you just rub away the salt, and, the effect is much more dramatic.  Oooooh...  really like this.
 
 
Then I simply painted the flower heads with water, and blotted with kitchen roll to lift away the colour. 
 

Black sharpie pen round the edge to finish.  Simple, but effective I think.  We all need this sort of card sometimes;  well I know I do.  Sometimes things don't have to be complicated.  
 
 
I thought I would also share my party invitations which were made in a similar way using Spectrum Noir aquatints and Grace from the beautiful ballerina sets.  What I wanted to show here was variations on the same design, all simple to achieve and ideal for a large batch of cards. 
 
 
Colours simply and roughly blended. 
 
 
Salt sprinkled on whilst wet and left to dry as above.


Cling film crumpled over whilst wet and left to dry.

 
Water sprinkled over and blotted with kitchen towel.
 
 
Well I hope you like these cards.  Thanks for popping in for a visit.  I'd love it if you had time to leave a comment to let me know what you think.  I'll be blogging the rest of my projects during the month, so till next time.  Xxx

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous artwork Barbara. I love the salty effect. so lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Barbara. Oh I never remember to take picnics xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Barbara. Oh I never remember to take picnics xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. All beautiful Barbara but I especially love the way the salt effect looks like flowers in the distance on your meadow grass card. x

    ReplyDelete